You’ll be surprised how appealing homemade cream of Celery Soup is! A healing bowl of Celery Soup – comforting, affordable, and flavorful, that can be made in 35 minutes. Cook up a batch of fresh, low-calorie celery soup for a healthy and filling veggie lunch or supper.
Serve with chunks of crusty bread for a simple comforting meal. It’s a budget-friendly recipe that takes 35 minutes to make and is always a hit at the table.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, or butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 fat garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 6 cups celery, sliced thin (about 1 ¼–1 ½ pounds) 1 extra-large head, save some leaves for garnish
- 2 cups potatoes, sliced into ½ inch thick rounds ( about ¾ lb – 1 extra-large russet peeled, or use a few yukons, unpeeled.
- 4 cups veggie or chicken broth ( or 4 cups water + 1 tablespoon “Better than Bouillon” Vegetable Base)
- 1 cup water
- 1 bay leaf (optional, remove before blending)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 – 1/4 teaspoon cayenne, start conservatively, add more to taste or leave it out entirely.
- ¼ cup fresh dill (small stems ok)
- ½ cup fresh parsley (small stems ok)
- Stir in: ½ cup (or more) of sour cream, plain yogurt, vegan sour cream, heavy cream or cashew cream. (see notes
- Garnish: Crispy celery leaves, nigella seeds, hemp seeds (all optional, but delicious!)
Let us know if you liked this recipe. Try the other recipe categories as well!