This Beef Birria and Birria Taco recipe will blow your mind. Rich and flavorful this beef birria is perfect served as a stew topped with onion, cilantro and a squeeze of fresh lime juice. OR chop up the meat and fry up some Quesabirria tacos! They are the perfect way to use up leftovers.
Yes, birria is a longer process than most taco recipes, but the history and rich flavors would not make you doubt the process. These tacos are featured all around social media thanks to the incredibly tendered beef and out of this world consommé.
- 7-8 cups hot water
- 4 lbs chuck roast, cut into 4 large chunks
- 2 lbs short ribs (bone in), or back ribs bone in
- 1 large white onion, dry skins removed, cut in half crosswise
- 1 garlic bulb, cut the narrow top off, no need to peel
- 1 carrot, cut in half crosswise, then cut in half (4 large pieces of carrot)
- 5 bay leaves, dried
- 8 guajillo chiles, stems cut off and seeds removed
- 3 tbsp chicken boullion
- 1-2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp mexican oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt, (adjust to taste)
- 14-16 white corn tortillas
- 2 cups quesadilla cheese, or any good melting cheese
Let us know if you liked this recipe. Try the other recipe categories as well!