These Rolled Sugar Cookies are soft, chewy and perfect for cut-out cookies of any shape and size. Smooth and shiny royal icing is perfect for decorating sugar cookies, because it sets up, making your cookies stackable.
The Best Rolled Sugar Cookies
- 1 ½ cups butter, softened
- 2 cups white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
1. Cream together butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer until smooth. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Stir in flour, baking powder, and salt. Cover, and chill dough for at least 1 hour (or overnight).
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
3. Lightly dust a work surface with flour. Roll out dough to 1/4 to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut into shapes with any cookie cutter. Place cookies 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheets.
4. Bake in the preheated oven until cookies are lightly browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Carefully transfer cookies to a wire rack and cool completely before decorating.